PATIENT INFORMATION

 What to Bring to Your Appointment
Insurance and Payment Information
Telephone Calls
Medical Center Affiliation

What to Bring To Your Appointment

Your insurance card

● Physician referral forms if required by insurance

● A list of current prescription and over-the-counter medications

   you are taking, including dose and frequency

● Pertinent information about your medical and surgical history

● Any recent x-rays, labs, MRI, CT scans or appropriate records you may have

 

Insurance and Payment Information

We believe that our professional fees are within the range of usual and customary charges for this region.  The payment is due at the time of your office visit.  All patients, including those covered under insurance plans, with which we participate, are required to pay their co-payments and deductibles at the time of service.  We accept Medicare and most major insurance plans; however, it is in your best interest to check your insurance providerís list of participating physicians to be sure your plan allows you to be seen at our office.  On all covered charges, Medicare will pay 80% of their fee schedule  excluding annual deductible.  We will take the appropriate Medicare adjustment off of our standard fee and bill the remaining 20% of the charge to your secondary insurance.  If you do not have secondary coverage, you will be responsible for paying the balance.  

There are many other plans in which we are participating providers.  We will bill your charges directly to the plan.  We will send you a statement for any charges that the plan determines are the patientís responsibility. 

Telephone Calls
Our staff will take calls Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:00 p.m. If you should call after office hours or on the weekend, your call will be taken by our answering service and the doctor on call will be paged.  He will respond as soon as possible.  if you are calling to request a refill of medication, please call during regular office hours.  Our office requires a 72-hour notice for all refill requests.  Please have the number of the pharmacy available for our staff.  Refills on prescriptions will not normally be issued after regular hours or on weekends. 

Thank you for choosing Neurology-Neurodiagnostic Lab for your neurological care and therapy.  We are very proud of our practice and the level of care we provide to our patients.  If you have any suggestions or comments regarding any of our services, policies or procedures, please feel free to discuss them with our staff or your physician. 

 Medical Center Affiliations

  Shelby Medical Center

  UAB Medical West

  Clanton Clinic